Albert Baker Fund Scholarships (US and Canada) & DiscoveryBound National Leadership Council (NLC) Graduate Awards
What We Fund
The Albert Baker Fund (ABF) provides tuition scholarships to Christian Scientists pursuing degrees or certificates at accredited post-secondary institutions (colleges, universities, graduate schools, or vocational training programs).
The Albert Baker Scholarship
For the 2022-23 academic year, the Albert Baker Scholarship award is $3,000. These funds are to be used for tuition, books, supplies, equipment, and fees.
Pass Your Blessings Forward Scholarship
You may also automatically receive an additional $1,500 Pass Your Blessings Forward Scholarship for the 2022-23 academic year.
DiscoveryBound National Leadership Council (NLC) Graduate Award
Graduates of DiscoveryBound National Leadership Council (NLC) are eligible to apply for a $5,000 NLC Graduate Award for each year of undergraduate college (up to $20,000 total).
NLC Graduates may also apply concurrently for Albert Baker Scholarships.
To Qualify for the Albert Baker Scholarship
You are invited to apply for the Albert Baker Scholarship if:
- You are a student of Christian Science, a member of The Mother Church, and can provide a personal Christian Science reference*
- You earned a minimum 2.5 GPA for your most recently completed academic term.
- You are a citizen of the United States or Canada. (Other Countries).
- You are enrolled in an accredited post-secondary institution (college, university, graduate school, or vocational training program).
- You have financial need.
* If you are not already a member of The Mother Church, you agree to apply for membership before you submit your next ABF scholarship application.
Olivia Morton, ABF Graduate
University of Rochester
To Apply for the Albert Baker Scholarship
- Write your Student Statement.
- Gather all required documents. Many of the required documents may take several weeks to receive from 3rd parties. Attachments must be submitted at the time of application. The application will not allow you to save your progress, so plan to complete it in one session.
- Submit your application by the deadline. Allow a minimum of 4-6 weeks before funds are needed. A check will be issued in the name of the institution and mailed to your permanent home address. It is your responsibility to deliver the check to your institution.
Application Deadlines for 2022-23 Academic Year
- Priority processing: March 1, 2022 to June 1, 2022.
- Regular processing: June 2, 2022 to September 2, 2022.
- Final deadline: September 2, 2022.
To Apply for the NLC Graduate Award
NOTE: You may apply for the Albert Baker Scholarship in addition to your NLC Graduate Award.
Marshall McCurties, ABF Graduate
All documents should be saved in PDF format.
Please tell us about yourself, including your academic and non-academic interests. Share why you are furthering your education, your choice of career field, what you hope to accomplish with your education, and any future plans. Describe how you personally use Christian Science in your daily life, including specific examples. Include any other life circumstances you would like us to consider, including why this scholarship is needed. The length of the essay should be one page, double-spaced, and no more than two pages. Label the top of your document with: Your Name, Date, School, Year in School, and NLC Graduation Date, if applicable.
Christian Science (CS) Reference
Your reference should be someone who can speak to your character, integrity, and current practice of Christian Science. The reference you choose must be a student of Christian Science and not an immediate family member. It is your responsibility to ensure that ABF receives the completed CS Reference form prior to submitting your application. ABF cannot process your application until the CS Reference Form has been received. Form to send to your CS reference: https://www.tfaforms.com/4961710
Verification of Membership in The Mother Church (TMC)
It is easy to request verification of your membership in The Mother Church. Please email email@example.com with your request and include your name, address, phone number, and membership number, (if you have it). It may take several weeks to receive your email verification. Save the verification email as a PDF. If you are not already a member of The Mother Church, you agree to apply for membership before you submit your next ABF Scholarship application.
The academic transcript for your most recently completed high school or college term must include your name, date of the term, grades for courses taken during the term, and the term GPA.
Letter of Enrollment / Admission
Provide a letter or course schedule showing enrollment or admitted status in your accredited institution.
Confirmation of Tuition Fees
This is the bill/invoice from your institution. This information may also be found in your Financial Aid Letter.
FAFSA or CSS Profile
Your application must include your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) from either the FAFSA Student Aid Report (SAR), or the school-provided EFC based on the College Scholarship Service (CSS) Profile. If you do not already have a FAFSA SAR or CSS Profile completed, visit https://studentaid.gov/ (FAFSA) or https://cssprofile.collegeboard.org/ (CSS) to begin the process.
Please supply a PDF that shows your official EFC amount.
Financial Aid Letter
Your Financial Aid Letter explains the total amount of monetary assistance (total of grants and loans) your school is offering you. You should receive this letter shortly after you receive your college acceptance letter. This information may also be provided to you via your school’s website.
Estimates of Your Expenses
You will need to supply estimates for the following expenses in the application (no attachments necessary for these items):
- Supplies, books, and equipment (such as computer)
- Required fees (academic, healthcare, other)
- Other expenses
Please email this URL (https://www.tfaforms.com/4961710) to your Christian Science reference to fill out prior to submitting your application.
NOTE: All attachments must be submitted with your application. The application will not allow you to save your progress, so plan to complete it in one session. Upon successful submission of your application, you will receive a confirmation email.
Emily Martin, ABF Graduate
Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo