Albert Baker Fund Scholarships (US and Canada) & DiscoveryBound National Leadership Council (NLC) Graduate Awards
Applications are Open!
- For Spring Term 2023 (if you have not yet applied for Academic Year 2022-2023)
- Apply November 2, 2022 to February 2, 2023
- For Summer 2023 and priority processing for Academic Year 2023-2024
- Apply April 1, 2023 to June 1, 2023
- Final deadline for Academic Year 2023-2024 scholarships
- Apply by September 8, 2023
Scholarships and Awards
The Albert Baker Fund (ABF) provides tuition scholarships to Christian Scientists pursuing degrees or certificates at accredited post-secondary institutions (community colleges, colleges, universities, graduate schools, or vocational training programs).
The Albert Baker Scholarship
The Albert Baker Scholarship awards up to $3,000 per academic year based on financial need. These funds are to be used for tuition, books, and fees.
Pass Your Blessings Forward Scholarship
Based on your financial needs, you may also qualify for an additional $1,500 Pass Your Blessings Forward Scholarship (no additional application required).
Special Donor-Funded Scholarships
If you meet any of these additional requirements you may qualify for a special scholarship award (no additional application required).
- You are a resident of Alaska prior to entering your freshman year.
- You are attending University of California, Davis.
- You are a music student.
DiscoveryBound National Leadership Council (NLC) Graduate Award
If you are a graduate of the DiscoveryBound National Leadership Council (NLC) you are eligible to apply for a $5,000 NLC Graduate Award for each year of undergraduate college you attend (up to $20,000 total, awarded within 6 years of graduating from NLC). You may also apply for the Albert Baker Scholarship if you have financial need.
To Qualify for the Albert Baker Scholarship
You are invited to apply for the Albert Baker Scholarship if:
- You are a student of Christian Science and a member of The Mother Church, The First Church of Christ, Scientist, in Boston, Massachusetts.
- You provide a Christian Science reference.
- You earned a minimum 2.5 GPA for your most recently completed academic term.
- You are a citizen or legal permanent resident of the United States or Canada. (Assistance is offered in other countries).
- You are enrolled in an accredited post-secondary institution (community college, college, university, graduate school, or vocational training program).
- You have financial need as shown in your FAFSA / CSS.
Olivia Morton, ABF Graduate
University of Rochester
To Apply for the Albert Baker Scholarship
- Write your student statement.
- Gather all other required documents. Many of the required documents may take several weeks to receive from third parties, so plan accordingly. Attachments must be submitted at the time of application.
- Submit your application by the deadline. Allow a minimum of 4-6 weeks for us to process your application. If you are awarded a scholarship, a check will be issued in the name of the institution and mailed to your permanent home address. It is your responsibility to deliver the check to your institution.
To Apply for the NLC Graduate Award
- Write your student statement.
- Gather your confirmation of admittance or enrollment.
- Submit your application by the deadline.
You may also apply for the Albert Baker Scholarship if you have financial need.
Marshall McCurties, ABF Graduate
All required documents must be saved in PDF format. You cannot save your progress while filling out the application.
Please tell us about yourself, including your academic and non-academic interests. Share why you are furthering your education, your choice of career field, what you hope to accomplish with your education, and any future plans. Describe how you personally use Christian Science in your daily life, including specific examples. Include any other life circumstances you would like us to consider. The length of the essay should be one page, double-spaced, and no more than two pages. Label the top of your document with: Your Name, Date, School, Year in School, and NLC Graduation Date, if applicable.
Christian Science (CS) Reference
Before starting the application process, send this link to your CS Reference. Your reference must be a student of Christian Science (not an immediate family member) who speaks to your character, integrity, and current practice of Christian Science, including specific examples they have witnessed. ABF cannot process your application until the CS Reference Form has been received.
Verification of Membership in The Mother Church (TMC)
It is easy to request verification of your membership in The Mother Church. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your request and include your name, address, phone number, and membership number (if you have it). It may take several weeks to receive your email verification. Save the verification email as a PDF. As an alternative, you may submit a PDF of your most recent per capita tax form from The Mother Church.
If your application for membership to The Mother Church is pending, please provide verification of your application submission as a PDF. This could be a note from the member of The Mother Church who countersigned your application. Or it could be an email from the Clerk verifying your application.
The academic transcript for your most recently completed high school or college term must include your name, date of the term, grades for courses taken during the term, and the term GPA.
Letter of Enrollment / Acceptance of Admission / Course Schedule
First year students must provide a letter showing enrollment or acceptance of admission for upcoming term at your accredited institution. Returning students must provide a course schedule for the upcoming term.
Confirmation of Tuition Fees
This is the bill/invoice from your institution. This information may also be found in your Financial Aid Letter.
FAFSA or CSS Profile
Your application must include your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) from either the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) Student Aid Report (SAR), or the school-provided EFC based on the College Scholarship Service (CSS) Profile. If you do not already have a FAFSA SAR or CSS Profile completed, visit https://studentaid.gov/ (FAFSA) or https://cssprofile.collegeboard.org/ (CSS) to begin the process.
Submit a PDF that shows your official EFC amount.
Students enrolled in graduate programs may submit a copy of their most recent 1040 form instead of the EFC from FAFSA or CSS.
Financial Aid Letter
Your Financial Aid Letter explains the total amount of monetary assistance (total of grants and loans) your school is offering you. You should receive this letter shortly after you receive your college acceptance letter. This information may also be provided to you via your school’s website.
Estimates of Your Expenses
You will need to supply estimates for the following expenses in the application (no attachments necessary for these items):
- Supplies, books, and equipment (such as computer)
- Required fees (academic, healthcare, other)
- Other expenses
Select the application you wish to submit below:
All required documents must be submitted in PDF format with your application. The application will not allow you to save your progress, so plan to complete it in one session. Upon successful submission of your application, you will receive a confirmation email.
Emily Martin, ABF Graduate
Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo